Using what exists to make a more complete 32bpp set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Using what exists to make a more complete 32bpp set

Post by Xotic750 »

I've created replacements for the SH125 and UU37. I have nearly finished a replacement for the SH30/SH40 and am working on the proportions of the models to get closer to those created by Ben Robbins (difficulty is I am using Blender and the others used 3DS Max). I am uploading the work the 32bpp Graphics Repository under GPLv2 and you are more than welcome to use the work in OpenGFX+ (if that helps). I am rendering all sprites for all zoom levels for both standard and extra zoom branches but doing the offsets is the real time killer.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Xotic750 wrote:I've created replacements for the SH125 and UU37. I have nearly finished a replacement for the SH30/SH40 and am working on the proportions of the models to get closer to those created by Ben Robbins (difficulty is I am using Blender and the others used 3DS Max). I am uploading the work the 32bpp Graphics Repository under GPLv2 and you are more than welcome to use the work in OpenGFX+ (if that helps). I am rendering all sprites for all zoom levels for both standard and extra zoom branches but doing the offsets is the real time killer.
So leave out the offsets. There are multiple people that can help fix the offsets for you, but there are not so many people actually creating sprites.
extrem123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by extrem123 »

@ OPS
My apologies, but it is a little bit tricky "Normal Zoom" x "Full Zoom". I am interested in full zoom, I gues. Should I write to a topic that you said again? I wrote here, because of nice pictures above...

// EDIT: OK, I read the forum that you designated. Try ZIPs that are there. And File Repository too... Thx.
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

extrem123 wrote:@ OPS
My apologies, but it is a little bit tricky "Normal Zoom" x "Full Zoom". I am interested in full zoom, I gues. Should I write to a topic that you said again? I wrote here, because of nice pictures above...

// EDIT: OK, I read the forum that you designated. Try ZIPs that are there. And File Repository too... Thx.
That thread is for normal zoom not extra zoom. The zip files are probably sources so wont be usable in game. Give me an hour or so and i'll upload everything I have in a single download.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

OPS wrote:Give me an hour or so and i'll upload everything I have in a single download.
Make sure to include all license files and check first if you have permission to redistribute. No license means no permission.
extrem123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by extrem123 »

@OPS:
Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to your upload, just as I carried home the TT - like a young boy, before more than a decade. :bow:

@Yexo:
I do not want to distribute this package of graphics. I think all of creators who put their work to public forum on internet want people to use their work :) But for sure, I will be glad when OPS attach creator's license agreement.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

extrem123 wrote:@Yexo:
I do not want to distribute this package of graphics.
But you do want OPS to distribute it (to you, specifically).
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

Yexo wrote:Make sure to include all license files and check first if you have permission to redistribute. No license means no permission.
Your concern is appreciated but not needed. Everything included in the pack is only what is already released, and therefore already has compatible licenses. The two new tiles I added were made by people who stated that all their work on here was GPL v2 and I have added their credits. The additional packs Included will be credited in the post with a link as per their own license.
extrem123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by extrem123 »

@ Yexo:
Yes, you are right. Maybe "TT-Forums.net" and "32bit Graphics Development File Repository" services could have in terms of use some sort of legal notice about posted graphics for non commercial usage. (f.e. like deviant art).

@ Xotic750:
I'll wait for OPS's upload, and after it I'll be pleased to try your graphics.
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

Taking longer than expected. Will be another 30min-1hr.
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

OPS wrote:Everything included in the pack is only what is already released, and therefore already has compatible licenses.
This is a wrong statement unless with "compatible license" you mean an explicit statement like "I allow redistributing my graphics" (or an explicit license declaration that includes such provisions, like GPL or CC-*).

If no such statement exists, normal copyright laws apply which thus means "all rights reserved". Most jurisdictions I know of will infer from an upload to this forum an implicit permission to use it as intended, i.e. to download and use it with OpenTTD. This does not include the permission to redistribute, include in an compilation or modify it.

-- Michael Lutz
extrem123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by extrem123 »

@ OPS:
Don't worry about time and licence issues. (Unsuccessful inappropriate sarcasm in relation to the previous post of OPS).
I'm humbly waiting for your package release. (Yes I am waiting, so this is true.)

// Edited italic.
Last edited by extrem123 on 14 Dec 2011 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

extrem123 wrote:@ OPS:
Don't worry about time and licence issues. I'm humbly waiting for your package release. :)
You really don't get it, eh?
You're asking him to potentially commit a crime (yes! Meanwhile piracy is in many countries a crime!) just for the sake of your own lazyness and greed?

Him taking the time and carefully sorting through things is a good thing, though, if it results in a list and package of graphics files which may be distributed freely.
extrem123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by extrem123 »

@ planetmaker & others:

Oh no, I understand quite well. I thought it primarily as sarcasm. Some time back, I worked as a project manager in a software development company. I know that the issue of user and copyright is very intriguing (especially with regard to third parties who are responsible for its protection, and often without the author's knowledge). In most states, the mere electronic consent (without a contractual obligation) is often not enough for manipulating with software. (Distribution and changing apps). The law is often written primarily to protect the lobbies of large distribution companies.

But despite all this, I personally accept full moral, psychological and physical authorship of individual developers in accordance with good morals and regulations of the Czech Republic and European directives.

A further private notification:
You don't know me, so please don't judge me as "lazy person". I only asked, if anyone can "summarize" function (already) published graphics into one package, because the Nightly release is obsolete and the Wiki is chaos. If you ask someone, who has already tested the graphics in the long term before, and save dozens of hours twiddling, is laziness, then you're a person who do not appreciate free time.

I obviously mistakenly create the impression that I intend to violate laws. If anyone got the impression that I urge someone to violate the law, then this impression is really mistaken. I apologize for all of that. I will edit my previous comment!
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Hint for next time: Sarcasm on the internet generally doesn't work. Don't try it. ;)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
extrem123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by extrem123 »

@ Lord Aro:
Thx. I see that. I was just hoping to encounter a more experienced user than the previous case happened. My mistake. :) But this discussion does not belong in this forum, so rather not continue produce more spam / flame.

// EDIT: Smiley is putted here, because the whole situation is quite silly and unnecessary misunderstanding. Sorry for that...
Last edited by extrem123 on 14 Dec 2011 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
OPS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OPS »

Michi_cc wrote:
OPS wrote:Everything included in the pack is only what is already released, and therefore already has compatible licenses.
This is a wrong statement unless with "compatible license" you mean an explicit statement like "I allow redistributing my graphics" (or an explicit license declaration that includes such provisions, like GPL or CC-*).

If no such statement exists, normal copyright laws apply which thus means "all rights reserved". Most jurisdictions I know of will infer from an upload to this forum an implicit permission to use it as intended, i.e. to download and use it with OpenTTD. This does not include the permission to redistribute, include in an compilation or modify it.

-- Michael Lutz
That quote isn't massively clear on its own but you have taken it out of context of the thread and everything I've said before. If you took the time to read the entire thread you would know this. Planetmaker made it perfectly clear the first time and lord helped me find authors licenses.
planetmaker wrote:
extrem123 wrote:@ OPS:
Don't worry about time and licence issues. I'm humbly waiting for your package release. :)
You really don't get it, eh?
You're asking him to potentially commit a crime (yes! Meanwhile piracy is in many countries a crime!) just for the sake of your own lazyness and greed?

Him taking the time and carefully sorting through things is a good thing, though, if it results in a list and package of graphics files which may be distributed freely.
Personally I thought he was just saying I can take my time to sort out any problems I have, including license etc. Not "forget about it and just release it". Either way I'm sure anyone could understand his excitement after discovering the game again and wanting to use this new feature. After all its the uploaders responsibility.

EDIT:
extrem123 wrote:I obviously mistakenly create the impression that I intend to violate laws. If anyone got the impression that I urge someone to violate the law, then this impression is really mistaken. I apologize for all of that. I will edit my previous comment!
I never got the impression you were asking me to do anything that would involve breaking any laws or otherwise so there is no need to apologise.
extrem123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by extrem123 »

@ OPS:
I thought so. My interest is not new and comprehensive graphics package just for me, but for the whole community. Especially, when the Nightly package is litle bit outdated. (Here in the forum is enough to "terminated" threads on this topic).
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Outdated? no, just that virtually nothing has been done since last summer :(
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

OPS wrote:That quote isn't massively clear on its own but you have taken it out of context of the thread and everything I've said before. If you took the time to read the entire thread you would know this. Planetmaker made it perfectly clear the first time and lord helped me find authors licenses.
Apologies if we're a bit too careful, but there have been many people that don't get it at all and just redistribute without permission. So when a statement like yours is not completely clear on it's own someone will err on the side of caution and warn you.

Return to “Graphics Development”